Post Graduation Work Permit

What is a Post Graduation Work Permit?

The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) allows you to stay in Canada and work full time after you have completed a certificate, diploma or degree that is at least 8 months long.

You do not need a job offer to apply and can work anywhere in Canada in any profession, even if it is not related to your studies. The only exceptions are jobs or jobs at risk of exploitation that require a medical examination, such as working in a school or health care setting.

Why should I apply?

A PGWP is a practical way to implement what you have learned at UBC, to advance your professional goals and gain Canadian work experience, which may require you to qualify for some permanent resident programs. .

In general, qualifying for other types of Canadian work permits can be difficult.

If you are not sure if you will stay after graduation or return to Canada, consider applying for PGWP if your plans change as you will miss the opportunity to apply after 180 days. You do not have to live or work in Canada all the time to have a work permit valid.

Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible for a PGWP, you must:

  • Completed a study program that lasted at least eight months and led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Studied full time in each academic session without time without study. It does not include regular program breaks, such as winter breaks or summer breaks for undergraduate students.
  • At least 50% of your program completed in Canada, calculated based on the number of courses completed in Canada
  • At least 50% of your program completed individually

You are still eligible for PGWP if:

  • You did last minute study in your last academic session
  • You have taken the official gap in the study for less than 150 days
  • You were eligible for temporary policies until December 31, 2021 that allow COVID-19 courses to count the length of your PGWP, as well as allow you to complete more than 50% of your studies either online or outside of Canada. . See the following FAQs for eligibility details:
  • New students who start a program between Summer Sessions 2020 (May-August, 2020) and Winter Term 1 2021 (September-December, 2021)

Continuing students who begin the program in the winter term 2 2019 (January-April, 2020) or earlier

See full eligibility details from the Government of Canada website.

If you are not eligible for PGWP, learn about the different options you have after completing your studies at UBC.

If you have ever taken part-time or part-time study, draft a letter of explanation and gather supporting documents, then consult with international student counsel before submitting your application.

PGWP length

Work permit lengths range from a minimum of 8 months to a maximum of 3 years, depending on the official length of your program, not how long it takes to meet program requirements. If you complete a 4 year undergraduate degree, you are eligible for a 3 year PGWP.

If you are a graduate student, request the completion of a customized letter indicating the length of your program. If your graduate program has a flexible schedule, such as 12-24 months, request that your letter indicate the number of credits and / or in-depth discussions of your program, prepare a letter of explanation, and international Advises to contact students. Support.