There are different types of work permits that the applicant can apply for depending on the situation and eligibility. To obtain your temporary work permit, the eligibility requirements are:
- You are currently living in Canada and conducting a valid study, or work permit or your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit
- Graduated from a Canadian college or university
- Keep a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months
- CIC is awaiting the processing of your permanent residence application.
- There are many types of work permits
Graduate work permit
- Upon successful completion of a college education from the designated college or institution, the applicant is eligible to obtain a minimum of a one-year work permit or a maximum of 3 years.
- Closed work permit
- Anyone can get a closed work permit as a result of a positive LMIA (formerly known as LMO Labor Market Opinion).
- Bridging work permit
- If the applicant has already been approved by the provincial nominee or is already applying for a permanent residence file, more than one can extend their work permit.