Work Permit Within Canada

There are different types of work permits that the applicant can apply for depending on the situation and eligibility. To obtain your temporary work permit, the eligibility requirements are:

  • You are currently living in Canada and conducting a valid study, or work permit or your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • Graduated from a Canadian college or university
  • Keep a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months
  • CIC is awaiting the processing of your permanent residence application.
  • There are many types of work permits

Graduate work permit

  • Upon successful completion of a college education from the designated college or institution, the applicant is eligible to obtain a minimum of a one-year work permit or a maximum of 3 years.
  • Closed work permit
  • Anyone can get a closed work permit as a result of a positive LMIA (formerly known as LMO Labor Market Opinion).
  • Bridging work permit
  • If the applicant has already been approved by the provincial nominee or is already applying for a permanent residence file, more than one can extend their work permit.